Bonghwa Herbal Crop Research Institute
- Bonghwa Herbal Crop Research Institute
- GYONGSANGBUK-DO AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH & EXTENSION SERVICES
In terms of plants that are grown for medicinal purposes, the Korean Pharmacopoeia alone contains records of 395 varieties. Currently, there are 950 recognized plant varieties native to Korea. Today, over 60 of them are cultivated for medicinal purposes.
The Bonghwa Herbal Crop Research Institute studies medicinal herbs that are native to the Baekdudaegan Mountain Range. Currently, it is working on establishing a basis for the breeding of market-competitive herbal plant varieties and seeds, developing technologies for the stable production of high-quality herbal plants that are resilient to climate change, and coming up with new business ideas for medicinal herbal plants and technologies for making practical use of such plants in diverse ways.
The institute’s major areas of research include
- Breeding of new varieties of plants for the materials industry and the collection, preservation, and proliferation of the genetic resources of herbal crops
- Analysis of micro-meteorological changes in the breeding environments of herbal crops, development of state-funded breeding technologies and research studies on physio-ecological breeding, establishment of breeding methods (e.g. GAP and organic farming), and development of technologies for mitigating the damage caused by repeated breeding/cultivation
- Analysis of the special functions and assessment of the curative properties of herbal crops, research on the urban farming of medicinal plants, development of health foods with increased concentrations of active ingredients, and enhancement of bioactive substances
- Development of technologies that satisfy practical demands/needs and provision of education on the current status of farming and issues related to meeting the demands of policy subjects (e.g. farmers)
- Establishment of basis for breeding competitive herbal plant varieties and seeds
- Development of technologies that allow the stable production/breeding of high-quality herbal plants that are resilient to climate change
- Development of new business ideas for medicinal herbal plants and creation of value added
81, Buraengi-gil, Bongseong-myeon, Bonghwa-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do / Phone : +82-54-673-8064~5 / Fax : +82-54-673-8066